Halloween is finally here, and the Nebraska Regional Poison Center compiled these tips on how to have fun while staying safe:
- When children trick-or-treat, treats should be carefully checked by adults. Homemade treats or anything out of its original wrapper should be thrown away unless parents are positive of the identity of the person from which it came.
- Providing children with a full meal before trick-or-treating will reduce the temptation for children to eat treats before they return home.
- Give out non-edible treats such as stickers, pencils, erasers, or other party favors.
- Chocolate is very poisonous to dogs. Store all candy up and out of reach of dogs.
- Costumes should be warm, well fitting and non-flammable. Masks should provide adequate vision and should be removed while children are crossing streets. Use inexpensive, nontoxic face paint as an alternative to masks. All makeup and fluorescent hair sprays should be removed before going to bed. Consider using reflective tape on costumes worn after dark.
Trick or treating
- Make sure children are accompanied by an adult and take a flashlight along if it is dark. All children should stay in their own neighborhood and only go in homes of friends and family.
- Sponsor a block party as an alternative to wide-range trick-or-treating. Parties at home can substitute for, or at least shorten, trick-or-treat trips.
- While trick-or-treating, stay away from barking dogs or upset animals.
- Glow sticks can cause immediate stinging and a burning sensation if the liquid comes in contact with the mouth or the eyes. Be careful when small children put these in their mouths.
- Serving punch containing dry ice is not considered dangerous as long as the ice is not swallowed in its solid form. Small pieces should not be put in individual glasses. Frostbite can occur if dry ice touches the skin or mouth.
The Nebraska Regional Poison Center offers tips on Halloween safety and poison prevention. For more information, contact the Nebraska Regional Poison Center by calling 1-800-222-1222.